|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||February 28, 2019|
Job Title ; Telemetry Nurse
Department ; Cardiology / Cardiothoracic Inpatient Unit
Reports to ; Nurse Manager
Date ; 2019
Overall Purpose of Job
The Mission of the Hospital is to provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
The overall purpose of the role of Telemetry Nurse in the Cardiology and Acute Medical Ward is to provide professional nursing skills in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the nursing care for patients with telemetry. This care will be safe and quality assured at all times.
The cohort of patients admitted to this ward (also known as 3rd Floor) are Cardiology, Cardiothoracic, Respiratory and Acute Medical patients admitted from the Emergency Department.
Responsible for all telemetry on level 3 and remote telemetry.
The telemetry nurse will assess for acute changes in patients and work in a fast paced environment. This nurse will monitor and analyse the heart rhythm, interpret ECG’s, note arrhythmias and intervene in emergency situations.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Essential to be able to accurately interpret heart rhythms, interpret ECG’s, note arrhythmias and intervene in emergency situations.
- Excellent clinical skills
- Critical thinking ability
- Take the nursing history, summarise data, and state nursing diagnoses and patient care needs.
- Observe and record signs, symptoms, and behaviours, including the physiological status of patients, present the assessment of changes, the proposed revision of interventions, and desired outcomes.
- Follow policy for activating an individualised plan of care for newly admitted patients.
- Cardiovascular knowledge including anatomy and physiology and cardiac disease processes
- Perform admission, discharge and transfer procedures.
- Execute physician's orders for all assigned patients, safely and properly administer medications and treatments.
- Notify appropriate nursing and medical staff to changes in the patient's status.
- Independently perform duties and assume responsibility for care of the telemetry patient.
- Perform techniques and routines in the specialty service area.
- Flexibility given the unpredictability of patient status.
- Document nursing care in all assigned patient records.
- Maintain patient's privacy and confidentiality of information and records at all times.
- Evaluate care given including the patient response.
- Reassess and document the proposed revision of interventions and desired outcomes.
- Ability to use technology available for patient monitoring.
- Review documentation of instructions and patient response with the Nurse Manager or designee.
- Adhere to internal controls established for department.
- Clinical Responsibilities
- The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to The Professional Scope of Practice Framework (NMBI 2015).
- The post holder will ensure:
- The patient’s families or identified individuals are involved as appropriate.
- Patients are cared for in the optimum clinical environment, adhering to all nursing and hospital wide policies and guidelines.
- Full nursing participation in and supervision of patient’s meal and special dietary requirements.
- Delegation is appropriate to the skill level and knowledge of the individual to whom the task is delegated.
- Documentation is recorded in a professional, legible and timely fashion.
- The post holder will partake in the Total Quality Management processes thereby contributing to:
- The identification of quality, policy and guideline issues.
- Identify quality improvement measures
- The evaluation of current practices to best practice.
- The setting of standards utilising structure, process and outcome.
- All hospital audit processes.
- The Hospital Wide Accreditation Cycle.
- Managerial Responsibilities
- The timely identification and communication of any issues to the Nurse Manager.
- Effective management of complaints and monitoring of all risk management processes.
- Maintaining an effective interdisciplinary communication processes.
- Deputise for the Nurse Manager as appropriate.
- Personal & Professional Responsibilities
- Attend in a timely manner all mandatory education sessions.
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Ensure their professional and personal persona positively reflects the profession of nursing and Beacon Hospital.
- Utilise all practical opportunities to educate the patient and their families.
- Participate in their performance review with their Nurse Manager.
- Educational Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Nurse Manager the post holder will:
- Develop teaching skills and participate in the planning implementation of orientation and teaching programmes for student nurses in the clinical setting.
- Provide feedback to Nurse Managers in the compilation of proficiency assessments for student nurses in the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the identification of training needs pertinent to the clinical area.
- Identify and contribute to the continual enhancement of learning opportunities in the clinical area.
- Participate in the clinical induction of all new nursing and support staff.
- Develop leadership ability in order to act as an effective role model.
- Assume responsibility for own learning and development needs.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain professional appearance and dress code.
- Comply with guidelines for absence or tardiness.
- All employees are expected to remain flexible to meet the needs of the hospital, which may include floating to other departments to assist as the patient needs fluctuate.
§ NMBI Registered General Nurse licence in good standing.
§ Experience of caring for acute medical patients or Cardiology patients preferred.
§ Postgraduate diploma in cardiology (or similar) desirable
Competencies and Knowledge
§ Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in care of acute medical patients in an acute hospital setting.
§ Demonstrate an eagerness to pursue a career in Cardiology, Cardiothoracic or Acute Medical Nursing.
§ Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
§ This nurse will monitor and analyse the heart rhythm, interpret ECG’s, note arrhythmias and intervene in emergency situations.
§ Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
§ Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
§ Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
Planning and Organising
§ Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
§ Demonstrate flexible approach – to internal rotations, rostering e.g. night duty, theatre on call, attitude to work.
Patient & Customer Focus
§ Demonstrate a focus on quality.
§ Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.