|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||February 7, 2019|
Job Title; Staff Nurse
Department ; Urology Day Unit
Reports to ; Urology Manager
Date ; 2019
Overall Purpose of Job
To provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do at the Urology Centre, Beacon Hospital.
The urology nurse is required to deliver competent, compassionate, and efficient care for all patients who attend the urology unit. The position includes clinical, administrative and service responsibilities.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Responsible for the day to day delivery of nursing care to urology patients in the Urology Day Unit.
- Assist consultants with procedures and maintaining and improving standards of care.
- Participate in patient consultations, follow-up phone calls, appointment arrangement and any other issues directly and indirectly related to the efficient delivery and management of the Service.
- Enhances the collegial consultant-nursing relationship recognizing the value in the development of respectful working environment. Close communication with the consultants is necessary.
- Performs related duties as required, including liaising with hospital staff and wards particularly with regards to inpatient referrals.
- Participate in the JCI (Joint Commission International) accreditation.
- Participate in intra-disciplinary meetings including but not limited to Cancer multidisciplinary meetings.
- Urology Department Specific Requirements
- Provide patient education for both day care patients and in-patients and on the telephone to patients and families. Documentation of all interactions is required.
- Provides clinical management, education and independent care for patients attending Urology Day Unit for a variety of urological procedures and investigations, once training is completed and competence assessed. This includes but is not limited to:
- Flow rate assessment.
- Instillation of cytotoxic therapy or immunotherapy for bladder cancer.
- Urethral or supra pubic catheter change.
- Prostate biopsy, pre and post procedure care.
- Flexible Cystoscopy.
- Teaching of Self-catheterisation for male and female patients.
- Participates in Data collection, statistical reporting and outcomes.
- Participates in research projects as needed to support the clinical practice in the department.
The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to The Professional Scope of Practice Framework (NMBI 2015.)
The post holder will:
- Ensure patients’ needs are identified and nursing actions are planned, implemented, evaluated, and then documented accurately.
- Participate in the delivery of care for both day patients and in patients in order to ensure best practice standards are maintained.
- Ensure an efficient flow of patients by prioritising appointments according to clinical need.
The post holder will partake in the Patient Safety and Quality processes thereby contributing to:
- The identification of quality initiatives.
- The evaluation of current practices to best practice.
- Health Promotion initiatives.
- The Hospital Wide Accreditation Cycle JCI.
- Maintains good working relationships with other departments and with physicians, patients, families and outside agencies.
- Communicates during the shift with the Urology department manager, urology nurses and colleagues, and any other person as necessary.
- Participates in ongoing collaboration with colleagues and other care providers to maximise Urology Department patient outcomes and specific goals.
- Participates in hospital, unit and interdepartmental QI activities.
- Demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed.
Personal & Professional Responsibilities
The post holder is expected to:
- Utilise effective time management skills.
- Maintain a professional appearance and dress code.
- Comply with guidelines for absence or tardiness.
- Attend staff meetings, read email and other postings.
- Attend all required in-services.
- Wears Identification badge when working.
All employees are expected to remain flexible to meet the needs of the Hospital, which may include floating to other departments to assist as the patient needs fluctuate.
§ NMBI Registered General Nurse licence in good standing
§ Minimum of two years’ clinical experience
§ Experience in Urology nursing desirable.
§ The employee, must speak, read and write grammatically correct English.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
§ Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
§ Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
§ Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
§ Demonstrate an understanding of change management.
§ Ability to share knowledge related to Urology specialty nursing.
§ Speak, read and write grammatically correct English.
Planning and Organising
§ Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
§ Demonstrate flexible approach - to rostering and attitude to work.
§ Must demonstrate multi-tasking ability.
§ Candidates must possess professional judgment, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and a sense of professional development.
§ Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
§ Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
§ Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
Patient & Customer Focus
§ Demonstrate a focus on quality.
§ Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.