|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||December 5, 2018|
Job Title; Staff Nurse
Department ; Theatre
Reports to; Ultimately reports to: Theatre Manager
Immediate Supervisor: Theatre Coordinator
Date ; 2018
Overall Purpose of Job
The Mission of the Hospital is to provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
The Staff Nurse in Theatre will be required to work as a member of the nursing team in Theatre and perform duties as assigned. These include scrubbing in and circulating for cases and ensuring a high standard of patient care is delivered.
The Hospital has eight operating rooms for Orthopaedics, ENT, Plastics, Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Urology, General Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery and Spinal.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Undertake the role of Staff Nurse in the Theatre Department and demonstrate the required techniques and procedures.
- Competent to scrub in and circulate for cases without supervision and cover call within six months of joining
- Organise the instruments to be used for the procedure
- Ensure sterility of the operating room environment is maintained
- Ensure patient safety is observed at all times in the operating especially with regard to the positioning of patients as well as pre- and post-surgery
- Anticipate the needs of the surgeon and patient
- Comply with policies and procedures and protocol especially with regard to consent and time out
- Provide assistance to ensure the smooth flow of the surgery such as getting supplies, ordering diagnostics and liaison with the laboratory
- Promote, deliver and maintain a high quality of patient care, reviewing standards and initiating change when necessary.
- Initiate and participate in quality improvement programmes and audits
- Foster a spirit of continuous learning through teaching and sharing knowledge with colleagues
- Ensure adherence to patient safety goals
- Adhere to Theatre and Hospital procedures and policies.
- Co-operate with medical staff and other carers in instituting a high standard of patient care and treatment.
- Ensure that equipment is correctly handled and maintained in safe working order.
- Develop and contribute new ideas and methods for the effective and efficient running of the Department.
- Be accountable for his/her own clinical practice, maintaining and improving professional knowledge, competence and scope of professional practice, in accordance with Nursing & Midwife Board of Ireland (NMBI) Code of Conduct.
- Supervise and assist with the ordering and control of supplies and the assessment of equipment requirements, repairs and replacement.
- Assist new staff with their introduction to theatre, using planned orientation programmes.
- Contribute to high morale by exhibiting professional behaviour, sound organisation, good interpersonal relationships and communication.
- Participate in in-house training and further education programmes.
- Develop clinical and personal competencies within the team.
- Keep up to date with mandatory training such as Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS).
Registered Nurse on live Register of Nursing & Midwife Board (NMBI).
Theatre course desirable.
1 years’ experience of Theatre Nursing is desirable
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
Demonstrate problem solve and critical thinking with regard to Nursing in Surgical Services so that can anticipate the needs of the surgeon and patient
Knowledge of aseptic technique
Demonstrate a knowledge and interest in Nursing in Surgical Services
§Motivated to learn, pursue further education and continuing professional development
Demonstrate good communication skills
Be an effective team worker
Competent in the use of systems and IT
Display effective interpersonal skills so can work effectively with colleagues
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description maybe subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.