|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||December 6, 2018|
Job Title ; Registered Staff Nurse
Department ; Oncology Day Unit
Reports to ; Nurse Manager
Date ; 2018
Overall Purpose of Job
We will provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
The staff nurse working within the Oncology Day Unit is responsible for the delivery of a high standard of patient focused care.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- To be aware of the policies and practices set out by Beacon Hospital and the Department of Health on safe administration of cytotoxic preparations.
- To work within a multidisciplinary team to ensure that patients receiving chemotherapy have continued access to specialist care, knowledge and expertise.
- The administration of prescribed cytotoxic chemotherapy to oncology patients via cannula, PICC, Hickman or Portacath.
- To administer chemotherapy in accordance with the protocols as set out by Beacon Cancer Centre.
- To provide information about treatment and side-effects - giving written information as appropriate.
- To facilitate effective communication between the multidisciplinary team, the patient and their family.
- Assess staff competencies and makes patient care assignments.
- Delegate appropriate tasks to appropriate personnel, consistent with legal and professional guidelines and departmental standards.
- Maintains clear communications with the Nurse Manager regarding unit needs and incidents.
- Serve as a resource person on the unit.
- Assist with patient care as needed.
- Adhere to internal controls established for department.
The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to The Professional Scope of Practice Framework (Nursing & Midwife Board of Ireland 2000).
- The timely identification and communication of any issues to the Nurse Manager.
- Demonstrate a confidence and competence in all hospital policies and guidelines.
- Efficient recording of all necessary documentation.
- Effective management of complaints.
- Monitoring of all risk management processes.
- Maintaining an effective interdisciplinary communication processes.
- Efficient utilisation of pay and non-pay resources.
- Participate in all ward and hospital nursing communication processes.
- Maintain good working relationships with other departments and with physicians, patients, families and outside agencies.
- Communicate during the shift with the Nurse Manager and Nurse Supervisor.
- Demonstrate the ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities.
- Participate in ongoing consultation and collaboration with physicians and other care.
- Provides to maximise patient outcomes and unit specific goals.
- Demonstrate willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed.
The post holder will partake in the Total Quality Management processes thereby contributing to:
- The identification of quality, policy & guideline issues.
- The evaluation of current practices to best practice.
- The setting of standards utilising structure, process and outcome.
- All hospital, regional and national audit processes.
- The Hospital Wide Accreditation Cycle.
- Health Promotion initiatives.
Personal and Professional Responsibilities
The post holder is expected to:
- Attend in a timely manner all mandatory education sessions.
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Ensure their professional and personal persona positively reflects the profession of nursing and Beacon Hospital.
- Identify potential and beneficial topics for nursing research.
- Utilise all practical opportunities to educate the patient and their families.
- Attend appropriate study days and courses.
- Be a preceptor and or supervisor to students and newly appointed staff.
- Participate in their performance review with their Nurse Manager.
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager the post holder will:
- Develop teaching skills and participate in the planning implementation of orientation and teaching programmes for student nurses in the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the identification of training needs pertinent to the clinical area.
- Identify and contribute to the continual enhancement of learning opportunities in the clinical area.
- Participate in the clinical induction of all new nursing and support staff.
- Develop leadership ability in order to act as an effective role model.
- Assume responsibility for own learning and development needs.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilise effective time management skills.
- Maintain professional appearance and dress code.
- Attend all required in-services.
- All employees are expected to remain flexible to meet the needs of the hospital, which may include floating to other departments to assist as the patient needs fluctuate.
§ Nursing & Midwife Board of Ireland Registered General Nurse (NMBI) licence in good standing.
§ Oncology Related post graduation qualification desirable
§ Two years clinical experience preferred.
§ Oncology experience preferred.
§ Candidates must possess teaching abilities, leadership qualities, professional judgement, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and a sense of professional development.
§ Must demonstrate multi-tasking ability.
§ Utilises effective time management skills.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
§ Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
§ Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
§ Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
§ Demonstrate an understanding of change management.
Planning and Organising
§ Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
§ Demonstrate flexible approach – to internal rotations, rostering, night duty, theatre on call, attitude to work.
§ Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
§ Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
§ Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
Patient & Customer Focus
§ Demonstrate a focus on quality.
§ Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.