|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||January 7, 2019|
Job Title; Staff Nurse
Department ; Intensive Care Unit
Reports to ; Nurse Manager
Date ; 2018
Overall Purpose of Job
Provide professional nursing skills in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the nursing care for assigned patients and provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Provide direct care to assigned patients.
- Take the nursing history, summarise data, and state nursing diagnoses and patient care needs.
- Observe and record signs, symptoms, and behaviours, including the physiological status of patients; present the assessment of changes, the proposed revision of interventions, and desired outcomes.
- Follows policy for activating an individualised plan of care for newly admitted patients.
- Deliver designated nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with the stated medical plan of care.
- Perform admission, discharge and transfer procedures, and assist others with patient's activities and care.
- Execute physician's orders for all assigned patients; safely and properly administer medications and treatments.
- Notify appropriate nursing and medical staff to changes in the patient's status.
- Independently perform duties and assume responsibility for care of assigned patients.
- Perform techniques and routines in the specialty service area.
- Perform or assist others to perform proper aseptic techniques, isolation procedures, and infection control measures.
- Document nursing care in all assigned patient records.
- Maintain patient's privacy and confidentiality of information and records at all times.
- Evaluate care given including the patient response.
- Reassess and document the proposed revision of interventions and desired outcomes.
- Demonstrate ability to assess patient's understanding of and compliance with instructions and health care teaching.
- Review documentation of instructions, teaching topics, and patient response with the Nurse Manager or designee.
- Adhere to internal controls established for department.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Clinical Responsibilities
- The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to The Professional Scope of Practice Framework (NMBI 2000).
- The post holder will ensure:
- The patient’s needs are individually assessed.
- A care plan and evaluation process is planned and implemented.
- The patient’s families and significant others are involved as appropriate.
- Patients are cared for in the optimum clinical environment, adhering to all nursing and hospital wide policies and guidelines.
- Full nursing participation in and supervision of patient’s meal and special dietary requirements.
- Visiting time policies are adhered to.
- Delegation is appropriate to the skill level and knowledge of the individual to whom the task is delegated.
- Documentation is recorded in a professional, legible and timely fashion.
- The post holder will partake in the Total Quality Management processes thereby contributing to:
- The identification of quality, policy and guideline issues.
- The evaluation of current practices to best practice.
- The setting of standards utilising structure, process and outcome.
- All hospital, regional and national audit processes.
- The Hospital Wide Accreditation Cycle.
- Health Promotion initiatives.
- Managerial Responsibilities
- The timely identification and communication of any issues to the Nurse Manager.
- Demonstrate a confidence and competence in all hospital policies and guidelines.
- Efficient recording of all necessary documentation.
- Effective managements of complaints.
- Monitoring of all risk management processes.
- Maintaining an effective interdisciplinary communication processes.
- Deputise for the Nurse Manager as appropriate.
- Participate in all ward and hospital nursing communication processes.
- Personal & Professional Responsibilities
- The post holder is expected to:
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Utilise all practical opportunities to educate the patient and their families.
- Attend appropriate study days and courses.
- Be a preceptor and or supervisor to students and newly appointed staff.
- Participate in their performance review with their Nurse Manager.
- Educational Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Nurse Manager the post holder will:
- Identify and contribute to the continual enhancement of learning opportunities in the clinical area.
- Participate in the clinical induction of all new nursing and support staff.
- Assume responsibility for own learning and development needs.
NMBI Registered General Nurse licence.
1 year Critical Care experience preferred.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
Demonstrate an understanding of change management.
Planning and Organising
Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
Demonstrate flexible approach – to internal rotations, rostering e.g. night duty, theatre on call, attitude to work.
Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
Maintain up to date certificates in BLS and ACLS.
Patient and Customer Focus
Demonstrate a focus on quality.
Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Applicants must have at a minimum an NMBI decision letter or already be on the active register here in Ireland and must also upload a cv for applicants to be considered.