|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||January 7, 2019|
Job Title ; Registered Nurse
Reports to ; Nurse Manager
Date ; 2019
Overall Purpose of Job
Provide professional nursing skills in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the nursing care for assigned patients while providing exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Independently perform duties and assume responsibility for care of assigned patients.
- Work within professional guidelines as laid down by Nursing & Midwife Board of Ireland Code of Conduct for Nurses.
- Carry out all Nursing practices in accordance with the Beacon Hospital Surgical & Medical Ward Policies; including the care, control and administration of medicines.
- Collaborate with other staff in order to provide a high standard of nursing practice.
- Maintain and update own knowledge continuously. This includes keeping up to date with mandatory training such as Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Take the nursing history, summarise data, and state nursing diagnoses and patient care needs.
- Observe and record signs, symptoms, and behaviours, including the physiological status of patients; present the assessment of changes, the proposed revision of interventions, and desired outcomes.
- Maintain accurate nursing records and Surgical & Medical Ward records as per hospital policy.
- Follow policy for activating an individualised plan of care for newly admitted patients.
- Deliver designated nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with the stated medical plan of care.
- Perform admission, discharge, transfer procedures, and assist others with patient's activities and care.
- Execute physician's orders for all assigned patients; safely and properly administers medications and treatments.
- Notify appropriate nursing and medical staff to changes in the patient's status.
- Perform techniques and routines in the specialty service area.
- Perform or assist others to perform proper aseptic techniques, isolation procedures, and infection control measures.
- Evaluate care given including the patient response.
- Reassess and document the proposed revision of interventions and desired outcomes.
- Demonstrate ability to assess patient's understanding of and compliance with instructions and health care teaching.
- Be aware of the hazards which can occur within the Surgical/Medical Ward, i.e. electrical, chemical and transport, and initiate preventative measures.
- Monitor and supervise the safe maintenance of equipment – reporting problems to the Clinical Coordinator or their deputy.
- Be prepared to assist with the generation of duty rosters by providing flexibility to allow for effective staffing cover to meet the needs of the department.
- Rotate within all specialities as required by the Nursing Manager.
- Discuss any problems or potential problems with the Clinical Coordinator or Nurse in Charge
- Ensure that the patients’ next of kin are involved as appropriate.
- Full nursing participation in and supervision of patient’s meal and dietary requirements.
- Delegation is appropriate to the skill level and knowledge of the individual to whom the task is delegated.
- Effective management of complaints.
- Be prepared to deputise for the Clinical Coordinator if required.
- Participate in all ward and hospital nursing communication processes
- Maintain the patient’s confidentiality regarding his or her condition upholding the Code of Professional Conduct at all times.
- Participate in their performance review with their Nurse Manager.
Nursing & Midwife Board of Ireland (NMBI) Registered General Nurse licence.
1 year Surgical Ward experience preferred.
Demonstrate the ability to work as an independent practitioner and to work as a team member.
Competencies and Knowledge Teamwork
Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
Planning and Organising
Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
Demonstrate flexible approach – to internal rotations, rostering, e.g. night duty, theatre on call, attitude to work.
Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
Patient and Customer Focus
Demonstrate a focus on quality.
Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect.
Must be prepared to partake in the Total Quality Management processes which include a positive reporting culture.
Must be willing to engage in on-going professional development.
Demonstrate leadership and competence in nursing practice.
Deliver an efficient and effective quality nursing care within his or her Scope of Practice.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.