|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||April 24, 2019|
Job Title; Paediatric Registered Nurse /Dual Qualified.
Department ; Paediatric Ambulatory Care (OPD)
Reports to ; Paediatric Operations Manager
Overall Purpose of Job
The purpose of the Paediatric Nurse in Paediatric Ambulatory Care is to provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
They will support the Clinical Coordinator with the smooth operation of the Paediatric Ambulatory Care Service and activities on a daily basis.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Excellent Communication and clinical judgement skills to enhance the referral process from General Practitioners (GPs)/Multidisciplinary Team Members to new Paediatric Ambulatory Service.
- Become competent in the assessment/triage of children for review by appointment by appropriate Consultant as required.
- Assist GPs in the appropriate triage of children to ensure appropriate referrals to service.
- Co-ordinate and direct the daily patient/family care operations of the Ambulatory Service.
- Analyse workloads and skill requirements to meet patient/family care needs.
- Maintain clear communications with their Clinical Coordinator and Paediatrics Operations Manager regarding weekly activities, unit needs and any incidents.
- Serves as a resource person for other staff, family and patients attending the Service.
- Assists with the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care as required.
The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to nursing guidance provided by the Nursing & Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI, 2015, 2014, 2000).
Become competent in the nursing assessment/triage of children prior to review by the Consultant. This includes physical assessment of the child’s weight, height, circumferences, vital signs & urinalysis and investigations as required. These skills may be delegated to appropriate HCA in the future.
The post holder will partake in the Total Quality Management processes thereby contributing to:
- The identification of quality/policy/guidelines required and to develop same.
- The evaluation of current practices to achieve best practice.
- Participate in the evaluation of care provided by contributing to the process of satisfaction surveys and follow-up calls as required.
- The setting of standards utilising structure, process and outcome.
- All hospital, regional and national audit processes relating to KPI’s and clinical need.
- The Hospital Wide Accreditation Cycle.
- Health Promotion initiatives such as Asthma Care, auto inject use etc.
- Manage direct enquiries from GPs about children requiring appointments.
- Manage and plan for the safety needs of children attending the service and ensuring safe transfer of children under direct supervision of a parent/guardian between other departments.
- Become competent in the assessment/triage of patients for review by appointment with relevant Consultant.
- The timely identification and communication of any issues to the Clinical Coordinator and /or Paediatric Operations Manager.
- Demonstrate knowledge and competence in all relevant hospital policies and guidelines.
- Assist in the development of policies/procedures required for future service need.
- Efficient recording of all necessary documentation.
- Effective management of complaints in discussion with the Clinical coordinator.
- Monitoring of all risk management processes.
- Maintaining an effective interdisciplinary communication process.
- Assist in the planning and monitoring of efficient utilization of fiscal resources.
- Participate in relevant organizational meetings regarding the Paediatric Ambulatory Service in the absence of the Clinical Coordinator.
- Ensure follow-up care of the child/family are arranged following consultation, communicate is communicated as required i.e. Dietician,Physiotherapy or Speech & Language.
- Ensure effective communication of any follow-up care and results are communicated to the child’s parent/guardian in an appropriate manner and within the nurse’s scope of practice.
- Manage with administrative support the scheduling of clinic hours.
- Liaise with GP’s, Consultants, administration and parents as required relating to all aspects of care.
The post holder is expected to
- Become competent in the nursing assessment/triage of children prior to review by Consultant.
- Attend in a timely manner all mandatory education sessions.
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Ensure their professional and personal persona positively reflects the profession of nursing and Beacon Hospital.
- Identify potential and beneficial topics for nursing research.
- Utilise all practical opportunities to educate the patient and their families.
- Participate in their performance review with their Nurse Manager.
Under the direction of the Nurse Managers the post holder will:
- Develop teaching skills and participate in the orientation, clinical teaching and assessment of student nurses if required.
- Contribute to the identification of training needs pertinent to the clinical area.
- Identify and contribute to the continual enhancement of learning opportunities in the clinical area.
- Develop leadership ability in order to act as an effective role model.
- Assume responsibility for own learning and development needs.
- Keep up to date with mandatory training such as Basic Life Support (BLS) and Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) as required.
- Attendance and contribution to hospital grand rounds.
- Be aware of process for the management of child protection issues
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilise effective time management skills.
- Maintain professional appearance and dress code.
- Comply with guidelines for absence or tardiness.
- Attend unit staff meetings, read email and other postings.
- Attend all required in-services.
- Wear Identification badge.
- Maintain good working relationships with other departments and with physicians, patients, families and outside agencies i.e. General Practitioners.
- Communicate effectively with the Clinical Coordinator and Paediatric Nurse Management team.
- Work closely and effectively with Consultants to deliver safe and evidence based care.
- Communicate with children and their parent/guardian in an appropriate and sensitive manner especially if follow-up/results maybe a sensitive issue.
- Demonstrate the ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities.
- Participate in ongoing consultation and collaboration with physicians and other care.
- Provide care to maximize patient outcomes and unit specific goals.
- Participate in unit-based and interdepartmental QI activities.
- Demonstrate willingness to assist co-workers ensuring activities within current scope of nursing practice.
- Liaise with diagnostic services (phlebotomy, radiology, pulmonary function tests, skin prick testing)
NMBI Children’s & General Nurse Registration/ Childrens only Registration in good standing.
Current PALS or willing to undertake within 12 months.
§ Three years paediatric nursing experience preferred.
§ Must possess professional judgment, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and a sense of professional development.
§ Must demonstrate multi-tasking ability.
§ Must have achieved English fluency in all manners of communication.
§ Use effective time management skills.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
§ Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
§ Motivated and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
§ Effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
§ Have an understanding of change management.
Planning & Organising
§ Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organizing and time management skills.
§ Have flexible approach to working hours in order to meet service demands.
§ Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in paediatrics.
§ Knowledge of new developments in specialized area.
§ Knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
§ Focus on quality.
§ Demonstrate empathy when dealing with children, family/guardians and maintain dignity and respect at all times.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.