|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||April 24, 2019|
Overall Purpose of Job
The Head of Surgical Services is accountable for the development, effective operation, and evaluation of Surgical Services in a high tempo acute setting. This will involve the provision of exceptional care for the patient where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of what we do.
Central to this role is the practice of effective leadership of the Surgical Services Team to deliver operational excellence to our patients, medical staff and other stakeholders whilst maximising throughput for the service.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
The Head of Surgical Services is responsible for the coordination of all activities within Surgical Services whilst focusing on delivering the highest standard of service in terms of courtesy, kindness, efficiency and effectiveness to every patient.
The post holder will have a Hospital Operations background and will be required to co-ordinate and guide the implementation of the Hospital’s service plans in consultation and in collaboration with the Surgical Services Team and Senior Hospital Management.
He/she will work directly with Medical Staff, Senior Nurse Management and Hospital Management to deliver the Service Plan for Surgical services.
The post holder will lead the optimal use of Surgical Services resources for patients in accordance with the hospital business plan or service plan.
- Be a proactive member of the Hospital Management team
- Provide excellent leadership and direction to the Surgical Services Team utilising an effective management structure to ensure that objectives are met, KPI’s are delivered and staff development and retention are prioritised.
- Liaise with Senior Management to develop service plans and report frequently on progress against them.
- Build excellent working relationships with Surgeons, Anaesthetists, equipment suppliers and other stakeholders in Surgical Services.
- Define and communicate local objectives with the Surgical Services Team that will ensure the achievement of the organisational strategy within resource limitations.
- Monitor fiscal budget to control operational and capital expenditures whilst monitoring and adjusting staffing patterns to improve unit productivity and effectiveness.
- Implement effective controls to monitor, evaluate and report the standards of delivery within the area of surgical services.
- Take ultimate responsibility for the effectiveness of service delivery.
- Create a culture of accountability, openness to change, respect for the individual and teamwork that supports the ethos of the hospital.
- Drive a culture of quality and compliance in accordance with Joint Commission International standards.
Key Working Relationships
- Work effectively with consultants, department managers, senior nursing and other senior clinical staff to ensure effective service delivery. To include daily engagement over the red line with all stakeholders to determine staffing, equipment and all resources are aligned to deliver optimum patient care.
- Work with all of the clinical specialities to ensure management of the throughput of patients within surgical services.
- Lead the communication and staff engagement process across all areas of responsibility through direct engagement with staff with a minimum of monthly meetings in all key areas.
- Engage with the Director of Nursing/Bed Manager to ensure collaboration in managing the key day to day logistics that impacts both surgical services and the clinical units and the required planning to ensure any projected issues are highlighted in advance and effective problem solving is done collaboratively.
Objectives of the Post
- The post holder will have a significant and important role in ensuring that Surgical Services is aligned to and plays its part in delivering the Hospital Service Plan.
There are four areas that will be a priority for the Head of Surgical Services.
- Ensure the maintenance of patient safety at all times.
- Drive effective throughput of patients within Surgical Services.
- Ensure that workloads are arranged in a manner that maximises the use of resources.
- Continually monitor and control activities that impact on financial expenditure.
The role will also be responsible for: -
- Analysing, monitoring and forecasting trends in surgical services.
- Direction and active participation in service planning, implementation and evaluation of effective resource management of the department.
- Continuous quality audit and performance measures specific to the area of Surgical Services.
- Ensuring the application of best practice including the generation of action plans to continuously improve the provision of services.
- Drive implementation of protocols, guidance and policies on the management of Surgical Services and the timely throughput of patients in accordance with Joint Commission International accreditation standards.
- Regular review, prioritisation and reporting of resource utilisation in conjunction with clinical decision makers.
- Participate fully in all Quality & Health and Safety related hospital initiatives and policies.
- Be proficient in Meditech’s Scheduling/Admissions/Theatre modules and related software.
- Be aware of ‘IT Meditech Downtime Policy’ and be able to put into effect if required relevant procedures.
- Drive quality in relation to every day work and participate in quality system measures to ensure that services are provided at an agreed quality standard
- Drive excellent Customer Care Service to all patients, consultants and colleagues to uphold the mission, vision and values of the hospital
- Participate in performance productivity measures
An Bord Altranais is not a strict requirement but would be an advantage.
Significant clinical experience at management level within surgical services in an acute hospital
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge:
· Must possess good decision-making ability, and a capacity for analytical thinking and problem-solving.
· Be capable of communicating effectively and courteously with a wide variety of departments and individuals, including hospital consultants, senior nursing staff, and hospital management
· She/he should have a strong awareness of the need for confidentiality, discretion, precision, and a methodical approach in all matters.
· An ability to maintain motivation to get things done with attention to detail, within the constraints of a busy hospital.
· All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service in a developing environment. The post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager.
· Ability to play a leadership role in the multi-disciplinary team.
· Ability to prioritise work and process large volumes of activity.
· Ability to be drive initiatives, be resilient, and be open to change.