|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||January 7, 2019|
Nurse Manager –CNM2
Department ; Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory
Reports to ; Director of Nursing
Date ; 2019
Overall Purpose of Job
We will provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
The nurse manager is accountable for the effective delivery of competent, compassionate and efficient care for patients undergoing procedures in the Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory. This includes clinical, human resources, and financial management. The Nurse Manager will work closely with the Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory and Cardiology multidisciplinary team to deliver a high quality Cardiology Service.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Provides leadership and direction for the staff in the Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory while supporting and actualizing the goals of the department, division, service and the Beacon Hospital.
- Ensures the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient care by monitoring and evaluating patient care processes and outcomes on the patient care units.
- Recruits and retains competent compassionate staff while monitoring performance standards and promoting fair labor practices.
- Promotes a work environment that demonstrates caring by accessibility of safe equipment and adequate supplies in an efficiently arranged physical setting.
- Operationalizes and participates in continuous quality improvement and risk management programs at the unit level in a collaborative manner with multidisciplinary colleagues.
- Monitors fiscal budget to control operational and capital expenditures while monitoring and adjusting staffing patterns to improve unit productivity.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls for department; provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Clinical Responsibilities
- The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to The Professional Scope of Practice Framework (NMBI 2015.)
- The post holder will partake in the Total Quality Management processes thereby contributing to:
- The identification of quality, policy & guideline issues.
- The evaluation of current practices to best practice.
- The setting of standards utilising structure, process and outcome.
- All hospital, regional and national audit processes.
- The Hospital Wide Accreditation Cycle.
- Health Promotion initiatives.
- Strategic Role
- Develop and deliver change management initiatives within the unit
- Manage and establish appropriate communications processes to facilitate top down (information
- dissemination, strategic objectives/goals) and bottom up (360 degree feedback) channels of communications
- With the support of the cardiology team, define and establish policies and practices consistent with the service’s participation in accreditation processes
- Establish and set performance indicators and measurement targets for cardiology in conjunction with the team
- Maintains good working relationships with other departments and with physicians, patients, families and outside agencies.
- Communicates during the shift with the Nurse Supervisor and Director of Nursing.
- Demonstrates the ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities.
- Participates in ongoing consultation and collaboration with physicians and other care providers to maximise patient outcomes and unit specific goals.
- Participates in unit-based and interdepartmental QI activities.
- Demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed.
- Personal & Professional Responsibilities
- The post holder is expected to:
- Attend in a timely manner all mandatory education sessions.
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Ensure their professional and personal persona positively reflects the profession of nursing and Beacon Hospital.
- Identify potential and beneficial topics for nursing research.
- Use all practical opportunities to educate the patient and their families.
- Attend appropriate study days & courses.
- Be a preceptor and or supervisor to students & newly appointed staff.
- Participate in their performance review with the Director of Nursing.
- Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilises effective time management skills.
- Maintains professional appearance and dress code.
- Complies with guidelines for absence or tardiness.
- Attends staff meetings, reads email and other postings.
- Attends all required in-services.
- All employees are expected to remain flexible to meet the needs of the hospital, which may include floating to other departments to assist as the patient needs fluctuate.
- Wears Identification badge when working.
NMBI Registered Nurse Licence in good standing.
Post Graduate degree, relevant to the area is essential
Preferably hold a post graduate qualification in management.
Candidates must possess ACLS
Five years Cardiology/Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory experience plus two years of progressive management experience preferred. The employee, must speak, read and write grammatically correct English.
Candidates must possess teaching abilities, leadership qualities, professional judgement, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and a sense of professional development.
Must demonstrate multi-tasking ability.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
Demonstrate an understanding of change management.
Planning and Organising
Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
Demonstrate flexible approach – to internal rotations, rostering e.g. night duty, theatre on call, attitude to work.
Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
Patient & Customer Focus
Demonstrate a focus on quality.
Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect.
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their Manager.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.