|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||January 23, 2019|
Job Title; Clinical Coordinator – CNM1
Department; 3rd Floor –Cardiology/ Cardiothoracic
Reports to ; Nurse Manager – 3rd Floor
Overall Purpose of Job
We will provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do. The Clinical Coordinator is responsible for directing and overseeing the daily activities of the unit on an assigned shift.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Coordinates and directs the daily patient care operations of the unit.
- Analyses workloads and skill requirements to meet patient care needs.
- Assesses staff competencies and makes patient care assignments.
- Delegates appropriate tasks to appropriate personnel, consistent with legal and professional guidelines and departmental standards.
- Maintains clear communications with the Nurse Manager regarding unit needs and/or incidents.
- Serves as a resource person on the unit.
- Assists with patient care as needed.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls for department; provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
- Performs related duties as required.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilises effective time management skills.
- Maintains professional appearance and dress code.
- Complies with guidelines for absence or tardiness.
- Attends 75% of unit staff meetings, reads email and other postings.
- Attends all required in-services.
- Wears Identification badge when working.
- Maintains good working relationships with other departments and with physicians, patients, families and outside agencies.
- Communicates during the shift with the Nurse Manager.
- Demonstrates the ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities.
- Participates in ongoing consultation and collaboration with physicians and other carers.
- Providers to maximize patient outcomes and unit specific goals.
- Participates in unit-based and interdepartmental QI activities.
- Demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed.
§ NMBI Registered General Nurse licence in good standing.
§ 5 years clinical experience, preferably two of which are in the area.
§ Candidates must possess teaching abilities, leadership qualities, professional judgment, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and a sense of professional development. Must demonstrate multi-tasking ability.
§ The employee, must speak, read and write grammatically correct English.
§ Utilises effective time management skills.
§ Participates in unit/section problem solving and improvement of systems.
§ Clearly documents all pertinent aspects of patient care on the daily assessment in Meditech.
§ Adheres to Standard Precautions as appropriate.
§ The use of protective barriers as appropriate.
§ Handling and disposing of infectious waste appropriately.
§ Hand hygiene as appropriate.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
§ Supervisory Duties.
§ Responsible for assignment of patient load taking into account the skill mix of staff.
§ Responsible for the direct and indirect patient care activities of HCA’s and unit receptionist.
§ When applicable, employees must be able to adjust the essential functions they perform appropriately to the age of their patient/customer.
§ Employees must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development and the knowledge and skills necessary to provide for the primary population of patients served in the department.
§ Employees must demonstrate the ability to alter care and patient/family education based on the age or developmental level of the patient. Primary patient population served.
§ Work environment is located in a comfortable indoor area.
§ Conditions such as noise, odours, cramped workspace and/or fumes could sometimes cause discomfort.
§ Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required such as walking, standing and lifting materials, equipment, objects, and/or patients.
§ Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be adequate enough to enable one to quickly and accurately perform tasks such as: reading small print, reading from monitoring equipment, defining details, sending and receiving clear and accurate verbal communication.
§ Frequent periods of concentrated or focused attention will be needed to interpret visual, auditory, and sensory inputs.
§ Shift work may be required.
§ Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to avoid injury.
§ May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable diseases, radiation, chemotherapeutic agents, and disoriented or combative patients.
§ May be required to be on standby and work extended shifts in situations deemed necessary by a designated Director of Nursing.
§ All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.