|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||December 5, 2018|
Job Title; Coordinator for Anaesthetics
Department ;Anaesthesia Services
Reports to ; Reports to: Theatre Manager
Accountable to: ADON, Surgical Services
Overall Purpose of Job
The Mission of the Hospital is to provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
The Coordinator for Anaesthetics is accountable for the management and coordination of all nursing services within the Anaesthesia Department. He/ She will coordinate and provide effective leadership within a multidisciplinary team.
The Hospital has eight operating rooms for Orthopaedics, ENT, Plastics, Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Urology, General Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Spinal and Pediatric Surgery.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- The Coordinator for Anaesthetics will encompass a management, clinical and educational focus within the team and will facilitate and deliver quality patient care by effective and efficient management of resources by demonstrating professional leadership and clinical expertise
- Be accountable for the nursing care of patients in the Peri-Operative and Peri-Anaesthesia environment
- Provide a high level of professional and clinical leadership built on evidence based practice and ensure the service strives to attain high standards
- Ensure the principles and practices of Risk Management are adhered to in the Peri-Operative/Peri-Anaesthesia environment and relevant healthcare settings
- He/She will advance current nursing practice in Anaesthetics
- Lead the Anaesthetics quality improvement programme and participate in interdepartmental QI activities
- Liaise and collaborate with Consultants and other care providers to maximise patient outcomes and unit specific goals
- Coordinator for Anaesthetics will provide leadership for nursing staff and ancillary staff within the department in line with current and future service demands and advances in Peri-Operative and Peri-Anaesthesia nursing
- The Coordinator for Anaesthetics will manage the day to day operational issues and work closely with the Clinical Coordinator for Recovery to ensure cross training of staff, day-to-day coverage, and support in each area
- Recruit and retain competent, compassionate staff and create a high performing team
- Promote a safe work environment by accessibility of equipment and adequate supplies
- Adjust staffing patterns to improve unit productivity
- Identify appropriate quality controls and monitor and enforce compliance
- Maintain good working relationships with other departments and with Consultants
- Develop subordinates through the delegation of tasks and responsibilities
- Demonstrate willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed
- Main Duties
- Working Environment:
- Conditions such as noise, odours, cramped workspace and/or fumes could sometimes cause discomfort
- Moderate to extreme physical effort may be required such as walking, standing and lifting materials, equipment, objects, and/or patients
- Occasional lifting may be heavy and awkward, over 50 lbs
- Vision, hearing, talking, and sense of touch abilities must be adequate enough to enable one to quickly and accurately perform tasks such as: reading small print, reading from monitoring equipment, defining details, sending and receiving clear and accurate verbal communication
- Frequent periods of concentrated or focused attention will be needed to interpret visual, auditory, and sensory inputs
- Shift work is required
- Alertness and careful attention to detail will be required to avoid injury
- May be exposed to occupational hazards such as communicable diseases, radiation, chemotherapeutic agents, and disoriented or combative patients
- Required to be on standby and work extended shifts from time to time as service needs demand
- Actively strive to develop multidisciplinary communication, collaboration and team work across the department and within the relevant healthcare environment
- Maintain a safe environment within the department for both staff and patients; ensure that all staff and patients conform to Health and Safety Regulations
- Supervise the delivery of anaesthesia service, ensuring patient needs are identified and nursing actions are planned, implemented, evaluated, and documented accurately.
- Ensure that all anaesthesia equipment are correctly handled and ,maintained in safe working order
- Coordinate attendance of anaesthesia staff in all mandatory training
- Ensure systems are in place to deal with any emergency within the department.
- Implement current international hospital and theatre policy in line with anaesthesia services
- Maintain and ensure that accurate theatre records and statistics are kept and communicate information on nursing activity and related matters to Theatre Manager
- Plan and lead change management initiatives within the Anaesthesia department. Develop and contribute new ideas and methods for the effective and efficient running of the department.
- Participate in Service planning and effective and efficient management of all resources and participate in the implementation and evaluation of service plans with the multidisciplinary team
- Plan duty rosters suitable to service needs. Assist the Theatre Manager by participating in planned duty rota facilitating the effective deployment of staff, accounting for patient dependency, skills mix, and staff hours required providing an efficient and safe client service.
- Ensure the requirements of NMBI for the practice of professional nursing are met and upheld
- Provide a quality learning environment for the nursing staff in the Anaesthesia department
- Participate in ongoing education, training and development programmes in line with International standards of best practice for Peri-operative/Peri-anaesthesia nursing practice development
- Organise and deliver formal and informal education sessions for all nursing staff
- Participate in the management process necessary for staff with additional needs of failing to perform to the required standard in the Peri-operative/Peri-anaesthesia environment
- Ensure ongoing assessment, planning, delivery and evaluation of standards of clinical practice and promote clinical audit within the Anaesthesia department
- Assist in implementing staff development programmes necessary for service delivery
- Participate in research, audit and evaluation and present findings to the relevant personnel. Encourage and support staff to participate in same
- Liaise with Infection Prevention and Control, with regard to issues that may arise in the department
- Liaise with Patient Safety and Quality Initiative team with regard to incidents/ accidents that may occur and ensure accurate recording of events. Ensure all accidents and complaints are fully documented according to hospital policy and steps taken to prevent re-occurrence.
- Manage the anaesthesia team and their performance, ensuring a safe clinical environment is maintained.
- Ensure all anaesthesia staff knows where and how to access the theatre and hospital policies, and are informed of any changes
- Ensure MDA and anaesthesia drugs are checked according to hospital policy.
- Exercise effective leadership by achieving high morale, based on professional behavior, sound organization, good interpersonal relationships and communication.
State Registered and on the live register of Nursing & Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
Have completed a degree or postgraduate nursing course (Peri-Anaesthesia, Peri-Operative and / or Critical Care Nursing) or equivalent.
Management course is desirable.
Minimum of 5 years post registration experience in surgical setting essential , 3 of which must be in Anaesthetics
Management experience in theatre is desirable
Competencies and Knowledge
Demonstrate effective professional clinical leadership skills to include building followership, generating and initiating ideas
Practice an enabling management style which will facilitate effective communication, and be a role model for staff
Possess excellent organisational skills
Perform staff appraisals
Demonstrate the practice of teaching and assessing in the clinical area
Facilitate change management
Plan service needs of the department
Maintain professional updates to ensure the provision of quality service to patients and other users of the healthcare facilities
Identify own professional development needs in liaison with the Theatre Manager
Seek out educational programmes which will enhance and develop professional and clinical expertise
Have a commitment to professional organizations relating to Peri-Operative/Peri-Anaesthesia nursing in order to maintain up-to-date with new developments nationally and internationally
Carry out any other appropriate duties as designed by the Theatre Manager
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.