|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||April 24, 2019|
Overall Purpose of Job
We will provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
The nurse manager is accountable for the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient care for specific patient care unit on a 24-hour basis. This includes clinical, human resources, and financial management.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- Provides leadership and direction for the staff on the patient care unit while supporting and actualising the goals of the department, service and the Beacon Hospital.
- Ensures the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient care by monitoring and evaluating patient care processes and outcomes on the patient care unit.
- Recruits and retains competent, compassionate staff while monitoring performance standards and promoting fair labour practices.
- Promotes a work environment that demonstrates caring by accessibility of safe equipment and adequate supplies in an efficiently arranged physical setting.
- Operationalises and participates in continuous quality improvement and risk management programs at the unit level in a collaborative manner with multi-disciplinary colleagues.
- Monitors fiscal budget to control operational and capital expenditures while monitoring and adjusting staffing patterns to improve unit productivity.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls for department, provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Participates in auditing the services of the ward
- Clinical Responsibilities
- The post holder will be familiar with and adhere to The Professional Scope of Nursing and Midwifery Practice Framework (NMBI, 2015).
- The post holder will partake in the Total Quality Management processes thereby contributing to:
- The identification of quality/policy/guideline issues.
- The evaluation of current practices to best practice.
- The setting of standards utilising structure, process and outcome.
- All hospital, regional and national audit processes.
- The Hospital Wide Accreditation Cycle.
- Health Promotion initiatives.
- Maintains good working relationships with other departments and with physicians, patients, families and outside agencies.
- Communicates during the shift with the Nurse Supervisor and/or the Director of Nursing when necessary
- Demonstrates the ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities
- Participates in ongoing consultation and collaboration with physicians and other care providers to maximize patient outcomes and unit specific goals.
- Participates in unit-based and interdepartmental QI activities.
- Demonstrates willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed.
- Personal/Professional Responsibilities
- The post holder is expected to
- Attend in a timely manner all mandatory education sessions.
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Ensure their professional and personal persona positively reflects the profession of nursing and Beacon Hospital.
- Identify potential and beneficial topics for nursing research
- Utilise all practical opportunities to educate the patient and their families.
- Attend appropriate study days/courses.
- Be a preceptor and or supervisor to students/newly appointed staff
- Participates in their performance review with the Director of Patient Care Services
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilises effective time management skills.
- Maintains professional appearance and dress code.
- Complies with guidelines for absence or tardiness
- Attends staff meetings, reads email and other postings.
- Attends all required in-services.
- All employees are expected to remain flexible to meet the needs of the hospital, which may include floating to other departments to assist as the patient needs fluctuate
- Wears Identification badge when working.
· NMBI Registered General Nurse licence in good standing.
· Preferably hold a post graduate qualification in management.
· Minimum of five years clinical experience plus two years of progressive management experience required.
· The employee, must speak, read and write grammatically correct English.
· Candidates must possess teaching abilities, leadership qualities, professional judgment, critical thinking and problem solving abilities, and a sense of professional development.
· Must demonstrate multi-tasking ability.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
· Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
· Demonstrate motivation and an innovative approach to job.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
· Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
· Demonstrate an understanding of change management.
Planning and Organising
· Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
· Demonstrate flexible approach to internal rotations, rostering e.g. night duty, theatre on call, attitude to work.
· Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
· Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
· Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
· Demonstrate a focus on quality with dignity and respect.
· Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues.
· All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.