|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||March 7, 2019|
Job Title ; Cardiology Nurse – Rapid Access Cardiology Clinic
Department ; Invasive Cardiology
Reports to; Cardiology Programme Manager
Date ; 2019
Overall Purpose of Job
The Cardiology Nurse will work in collaboration with other members of the Beacon Cardiology team in providing specialist cardiac nursing care and assessment to patients who present to the Rapid Access Cardiology Clinic.
The Successful candidate will be accountable for nursing activity in the Rapid Access Clinic. The role of the cardiac nurse in RACC is based on autonomy of practice, in-depth theoretical nursing knowledge, clinical expertise and application of research. The primary role of this position is the advancement of expert nursing practice. He or she will play a role in patient in and staff education and be a support for colleagues throughout the Beacon Hospital.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- The nurse will be required to provide excellent patient centered care to all patients who attend the Rapid Access Clinic.
- The Nurse will be required to work autonomously in providing specialist assessment, advice and management for patients who present to the Rapid Access Clinic and the Emergency Department with Cardiac Complaints
- Communicating with GP’s & consultants to ensure safe triaging of patients attending the clinic.
- Organise and co-ordinate patient’s appointments for the clinic and testing (both invasive and non-invasive) in conjunction with patient administration team.
- Interpretation and communication of patient history and tests results to the consultant.
- Commencement and interpretation of cardiac monitoring and ECG as appropriate.
- Perform venipuncture and cannulation.
- Administer medications, assess response and monitor for side effects.
- Ensure patients receive individualised care appropriate to their needs.
- Communicate the plan of care to the patient and their family.
- Educate patient and their family.
- Act as patient advocate.
- Utilises the nursing process as it applies to clinical practice, education, competency validation and program development.
- Demonstrates ability to perform competencies as set out by unit manager.
- Participates in ongoing clinical, audit and quality programmes and contributes to the cardiology service strategic plan, yearly education plan, goals and objectives and the Quality Management Process
- Engage in staff education and be a support to colleagues.
- Accepts responsibilities for own actions and omissions, accepts the consequences of all actions.
- Works within and understands his or her scope of practice.
- Plans and utilises resources effectively and efficiently.
- Delivers care within a specified timeframe.
- Contribute to Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- Demonstrates a willingness to assist co-workers whenever needed
- Ensure appropriate staff communication takes place within a pressured environment
- Communicates during the shift with the Nurse Manager or Nurse Supervisor
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of duties and responsibilities but is a guide for information to the job. The post holder may be required, after consultation, to carry out other related tasks, which may not be specifically mentioned above.
§ Nursing & Midwife Board Registered General Nurse (NMBI) licence in good standing.
§ Post Graduate qualification in Cardiology/Cardiovascular Nursing preferred but not required, with a commitment to complete Postgraduate qualification
§ Advanced Health Assessment Desirable
Have completed a minimum of 3- 5 years Cardiology Nursing with demonstrated leadership experience required.
Ability to develop policies and protocols in conjunction with other members of the team
Skills in physically assessing a patient and taking Health History
Candidates must possess teaching abilities, leadership qualities, professional judgment, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and a sense of professional development. Must demonstrate multi-tasking ability.
The employee, must speak, read and write grammatically correct English.
Utilises effective time management skills.
Participates in unit/section problem solving and improvement of systems.
Clearly documents all pertinent aspects of patient care on the Rapid Access assessment in Meditech.
Adheres to Standard Precautions as appropriate.
The use of protective barriers as appropriate.
Handling and disposing of infectious waste appropriately.
Hand hygiene as appropriate.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
Competencies specific to the role of Cardiology Nurse
§ Demonstrate evidence of recent and relevant experience in the specialised area and in an acute hospital setting.
§ Demonstrate knowledge of new developments in specialised area.
§ Demonstrate knowledge of national strategies where appropriate to nursing care.
§ Demonstrate ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
§ Communication & Interpersonal Skills
§ Demonstrate effective communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
§ Planning and Organising
§ Demonstrate evidence of effective planning, organising and time management skills.
§ Demonstrate flexible approach – to internal rotations, rostering.
§ Patient & Customer Focus
§ Demonstrate a focus on quality.
§ Demonstrate evidence of ability to empathise with and treat patients, relatives and colleagues with dignity and respect
All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.