|at ( view profile)|
|Date Posted||January 21, 2019|
Job Title; Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON) – Acute Services
Department; Nursing Administration
Reports to; Director of Nursing
Date; January 2019
Overall Purpose of Job
The Assistant Director of nursing will support the Director of Nursing in the day to day clinical operations, departmental planning and monitoring progress of the acute services. He/she will be accountable for the development, effective operation, and evaluation of the acute services in a high tempo setting. This will involve the provision of exceptional care for the patient where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of what we do. Central to this role is the practice of effective leadership in the management of all available resources. This will include clinical practice supervision and guidance, human resources management, including staffing and evaluations, financial planning and budget management.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
The delivery of a patient focused service must be the principle underpinning in the delivery of services. The Assistant Director of Nursing is responsible for the coordination of all activities within the acute service. The post holder will have a clinical background and will be required to co-ordinate and guide the implementation of the Hospital’s service plans in consultation and in collaboration the senior hospital management team. He/she will have the authority to work directly with consultants, senior nurse management and hospital management.
- Liaise with the Director of Nursing to develop service plans and report frequently on progress against them.
- Define and communicate local objectives that will ensure the achievement of the organisational strategy within resource limitations.
- Monitors fiscal budget to control operational and capital expenditures while monitoring and adjusting staffing patterns to improve unit productivity.
- Implement effective controls to monitor, evaluate and report the standards of delivery within the acute services.
- Create a culture of accountability, openness to change, respect for the individual and teamwork that supports the ethos of the hospital.
- Key Working Relationships
- Work effectively with consultants, department managers, nursing and other clinical staff to ensure effective service delivery.
- Work with all of the clinical specialities to ensure management of the throughput of patients within the acute services
- Lead the communication process across all areas of responsibility.
- Objectives of the Post
- The appointee will have a significant and important role in ensuring that the strategic direction of the hospital is guided by the best principles of resource management.
- There are four areas that will be a priority for the Assistant Director of Nursing.
- They are: -
- Ensure the maintenance of patient safety at all times.
- Maintenance of effective throughput of patients within the acute services.
- Ensuring that workloads are arranged in a manner that maximises the use of resources.
- Continually monitor and control activities that impact on financial expenditure.
- The role will also be responsible for:
- Analysing, monitoring and forecasting trends in acute services
- Direct and active participation in service planning, implementation and evaluation in overall resource management of the service, including continuous quality audit and performance measurements
- Ensuring the application of best practice including the generation of action plans to continuously improve the provision of services.
- Operational Role
- Assist with the running of the acute service on a day to day basis so that optimum care is delivered
- Assist in implementing protocols, guidance and policies. This must be done in accordance with joint commissioning international accreditation standards.
- Direct the provision of quality patient care in collaboration with the Director of Nursing by identifying, analysing and refining clinical and system processes and operations to improve and ensure positive patient outcomes.
- Facilitate planning and implementation and evaluation of patient flow initiative’s to enhance care delivery and patient satisfaction.
- Regular timely reporting of resource utilisation to The Director of Nursing and circulating on a regular basis reports for key clinical decision makers on resource utilisation.
- A significant and important role will be in the planning and co-ordination of initiatives to match resource usage with patient throughput. This will include active direct participation in relevant committees.
- Participate fully in all Health and Safety related hospital initiatives and policies.
- Oversee and manage departments under the remit of the role.
- Cross cover for departmental managers other ADON’s as necessary
- Substitute for the Director of Nursing as required
- Information Technology
- Be proficient in Meditech’s Scheduling/Bed Management and Admissions and related software.
- Be aware of ‘IT Meditech Downtime Policy’ and be able to put into effect if required relevant procedures.
- Service quality/Accreditation
- Understand the importance of quality in relation to every day work and participate in quality system measures to ensure that services are provided at an agreed quality standard
- Understand the importance of providing an excellent Customer Care Service to all patients, consultants and colleagues to uphold the mission, vision and values of the hospital
- Participate in performance productivity measures
· An Bord Altranais Registered General Nurse licence in good standing.
· Qualification at masters level or be willing to undertake such a qualification within the next 2 years.
· Excellent organisational skills.
· Excellent IT skills
· At least 5 years clinical experience at CNM 2 level or above
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
· Must possess good decision-making ability, and a capacity for analytical thinking and problem-solving.
· Be capable of communicating effectively and courteously with a wide variety of departments and individuals, including hospital consultants, senior nursing staff, and hospital management
· She/he should have a strong awareness of the need for confidentiality, discretion, precision, and a methodical approach in all matters.
· An ability to maintain motivation to get things done with attention to detail, within the constraints of a busy hospital.
· All posts in Beacon Hospital require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service in a developing environment. The post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager.
· Ability to play an active part in the multi-disciplinary team
· Be self-motivated with a high capacity for responsibility and individual initiative
· Demonstrate an ability to prioritise work and handle large volumes of activity